Here's an easy checklist to follow:
- Do you want the buttons added to your content or excerpt text, and where (at the top, bottom, or both)?
- On the Sharing Buttons settings page, chose a value for "Position in Content Text" and "Position in Excerpt Text" under the Buttons Position tab.
- Do you want the buttons to show in the content / excerpt text on your index webpages as well (non-static front page, archive pages, etc.)?
- Check the "Include on Index Webpages" option.
- Do you want the buttons to show on your static front page?
- Check the "Include on Static Homepage" option.
- Do you want the buttons to show on Posts, Pages, Media Attachment pages, and/or additional custom post types?
- Check all post types that apply next to the "Include on Post Types" option.
Which buttons do you want to show, and where?
- For each social button, check the appropriate option next to the "Show Button in" option.
- Do you want to use the default button stylesheet, or create your own button styling?
- To use the default stylesheet, check the "Use the Social Styles" on the Sharing Styles settings page.